Thursday, January 30, 2014

Life and Its Hiccups


I figured it was about time I blogged again. I’ve missed it but I’ve figured out why I was away.

Since my mom died in September I really haven’t wanted to discuss anything personal. Always on the edge of crying, the more I think about things, the more I will cry. I know it’s probably not healthy to hold things back but I also don’t want to burst out crying in random places like work. Things that trigger my being upset is my running and taking care of myself in general which have both been neglected.

I’m not being hard on myself even though it may sound like it. I’ve had issues with food my entire life. I knew as soon as my mom passed that I was going to eat more and eat more crap than usual. I actually thought about it. For me, it was unavoidable. Please don’t judge. We all have our addictions and vices.

So, as usual, I signed up for a race to get myself motivated again. This has always worked in the past and it shall work again now. I’ve registered for the Brooklyn Half on May 17th and this time there’s a 3-hour time limit. Since the last one I completed in 3:15, I need to get my butt in gear. I started training this week, which means I’ve run once and it was VERY difficult but I knew it would be since I’ve only run 3 times in 4 months. I’m using Hal Higdon’s Novice 2 Half Marathon Training Plan. I’ve loosely used his Novice 1 plan before but this time I’m really going to follow each day. I need the discipline and consistency. I had to take yesterday off because I didn’t feel well but tomorrow would normally be a rest day but I’m going to run. I have to be flexible too. It’s all about balance.

So, on top of the running and eating better, my company laid off 17 people last week. That was an unexpected blow. There are going to be more lay-offs too. We don’t know when and won’t until the moment they happen but they will happen. This leads me to putting my plan in gear even quicker.

My plan is to move to New York City. I’ve always wanted to live there but changing my husband’s mind about not wanting to go at all to now wanting to has been an interesting process. Well, maybe not a process but he didn’t want to at all and now he does. I guess he changed his mind when we went down there for a day a few weeks ago. Whatever it took, now he wants to go. So now we are looking for jobs. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment