Saturday, November 8, 2014

Back In The Swing of Things

The marathon training is going well. I actually started a new plan on 10/19 that a wonderful friend wrote up for me. It was such a nice surprise that she had written it up for me. I was complaining that I just didn't have the motivation in me to run in general. I had been sick for awhile and I think it had taken a lot out of me. She wrote up a plan that had me running 3 days/week. This includes 2, 45-60 min runs during the week and 1 long run of varying distances on the weekend. Tomorrow will be a 10-miler. I'm a little nervous about it since it's been since I did the Brooklyn Half in May that I ran that far but I have a nice route picked out and I'll be trying out my new Nathan Intense hydration vest and Tailwind for nutrition. I've heard great things about Tailwind so I'll see how it goes.

I've been spending time during the week running on the treadmill and one night this week I ran my 8-miler (I didn't get to do it over the weekend) at a local arena. That was challenging both mentally and physically because I had to count 48 laps to get the 8 miles in (I thought my Garmin could do it but not without a GPS connection and there wasn't one indoors) and the cement floor was a little rough on my legs. I persevered though!

Another thing I'm now doing is running slower. I'm going to try it for a little while to see if I can increase my stamina. I think I was running too fast before and that was contributing to my needing to take a lot of walk breaks. I was ok with it because I figured I could do regular intervals at around 4 min run/1 min walk but I was getting tired after even a few of those. The last two treadmill runs I've run slower and been able to run long without walking. I'll be trying that during my long run outside tomorrow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment