Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Race Report and New Goals


Wow, it’s been awhile since I’ve written.

To start out with, the Brooklyn Half went well. It was a whirlwind weekend of traveling to the race, a slight mess-up with where we were staying, not much sleep and just one long race, but it all turned out well in the end and I PR’d by 4 min!

The official count for the amount of people who raced was 25,587. Insane! I just couldn’t believe how many people were there! I’ve never been involved in a race that had so many people. On top of that, it was incredibly well-organized. There were plenty of water stations and port-o-potties too. It was an incredible experience in general.

My personal experience with the running part wasn’t quite what I hoped. Yes, I PR’d but I know I could’ve done better if I hadn’t had sore feet for awhile and my quads started tightening up like crazy around mile 6. I stopped and stretched a lot for the quads but I think the feet were the cause of my sneakers. I’ve run in Mizunos before and had been training in them but I just don’t think they had enough cushion and support for that type of distance. I’ve also had good luck with the Brooks Adrenalines so I went back to them. I’ve run in them a few times this week and I’m very happy with them so far.

Next up race-wise is July 6th in Kennebunk, Maine. I’m really looking forward to it because it’s in one of my favorite places (southern Maine) and I have the excuse to go up there and eat lobster. It’s a win-win!

The next one after that is Rock ‘N Roll New Orleans on 1/25/15. I am currently registered for the half marathon but I think I’m going to upgrade to the full. After reading the story about the 91 yr-old woman who finished the RNR San Diego marathon this past weekend, I have no reason not to try. She is an amazing inspiration! Please look up the article. You won’t be disappointed.

I still have 30 lbs to lose so that is my first priority along with doing the run streak I’m doing for the month of June. I’m doing it to raise suicide awareness. It was suggested on the Run JunkEes Facebook group I’m part of to run a minimum of 1.37 mi/day during the month of June because the statistics say that every 13.7 min someone commits suicide in the US. I think this is a great reason to push myself out of my comfort zone.

So, I’ll be working on the weight loss, run streak (for June) and start weight training with core work. I’m going to continue that into September and then start training for the marathon. I’m very excited about all of it especially since it’s keeping my mind off work. There have been many layoffs at my job recently and there will be more in the next couple of weeks. I’m trying not to think a lot about it since there is nothing I can do. Running helps me deal with it all.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment