Monday, August 5, 2013

Cross-Training Day

Today was a cross-training day so I went biking with my hubby. We rode about 7 miles and I had a great time. The weather was beautiful - sunny and 78 degrees. I couldn't ask for nicer weather.

Tuesday will be a training day and my plan calls for a 35-minute tempo run. I think I'll probably go to the gym to do that since I have a few errands to run in that area anyway.

An ongoing issue that I'm dealing with is needing to lose weight. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in May 2011 and while it was the best decision I've ever made, the so-called "honeymoon period" of rapid weight loss has been over for more than a year. I think that I'm very good about keeping with the plan (most of the time) but I have to constantly remind myself that protein and water are most important and everything else food-wise is secondary. This is and always will be difficult to me because I love carbs. Any kind of carbs too, I'm not picky in the least. Unfortunately, that love of carbs helped me get to the weight that finally got me to the point to think about getting the surgery in the first place. I also need to take vitamins twice a day, everyday. But I knew this going into it and I'm still very happy with my decision.

My point is that I've never reached my goal weight and while my outlook has changed on weight in general and the need to be a specific number, I also know that getting to the size that I want to be will help in all areas of my life, including running. I'm working to be more diligent in getting all the protein and water in and keeping my calories down but I also need to find that balance because of the training which means I know that this isn't the ideal time to try to lose weight. As I said, this is a lifetime change so while I know how to be diligent, I try not to be so strict that I'll be miserable because I know that training makes me more hungry along with needing more carbs but I also know that limiting everything doesn't make me happy. So, everything in moderation is the key and I'll be following that for the rest of my life.

Did you run today? If so, how far?

Did you do any other kind of activity or was it a rest day?

Let me know!

:) Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment