Friday, August 30, 2013

A Crazy Time

Well, the past two weeks have been crazy at work. We are short-staffed and short-fused. Hence, the no-blogging. I've still been running though so that's a good thing.

Last week I missed a couple days because I was having knee issues but I've been trying to stay on target with my training. I figured it was best to be cautious and not push it with my knee. I rarely have knee pain so I wasn't sure how long it would last. I think I probably had the pain because of the minimalist sneakers I've been slowly adding to my routine so I haven't used them since. I'm not sure if that's smart or not.

My long run of 9 miles this past Sunday was cut short to 6. This was due to a few things. I definitely ran at a bad time of day. I went out around noon and it was already hot and humid. I should've gone in the early morning or late afternoon. I quickly became dehydrated and didn't feel well in general. I walked more than I ran but I got through it. I also worked a lot this past week so I missed 2 runs. The last not-so-positive thing is that I went out to run 4 miles tonight and ended up with 3 because there were some drunk kids on the trail and I was uncomfortable so I figured better safe than sorry and had my hubby pick me up. I'm glad I did that.

So, what have I learned this past 2 weeks? Just that life happens. It's a cliche but it's true. There are some things you can't avoid and you have to roll with the punches. Getting back up, dusting yourself off and running another day is key. I will be getting out there this weekend and getting that long run in at some point. I'm so glad I have Labor Day off because a 3-day weekend is just what I need. Then it's back to work for only 4 days and then I'm on vacation for a week. I absolutely can't wait for that. Maybe I mentioned it in another post already but I'm going to Maine for 5 days. I haven't been there in 2 years but my plans only consist of running on the beach (something I've wanted to do my whole life but couldn't), relax and eat seafood. I'm SO looking forward to this!

My half marathon is almost 3 weeks away. I'm not really nervous at this point since luckily I've already done one but I wish I had been a bit more consistent with the training. I keep trying to remember that I've only been running for 7 months and I've already done a half in that time. Next time I train for one I will hopefully be able to stick with this kind of plan which was only have one rest day per week. I really couldn't do that this time. I needed the 2 rest days. Maybe other plans are different. I'll have to check them out next time.

Would you ever consider or have you already done a destination race or should I say, one in another country? There are lots of them but one I recently heard about is at the Great Wall of China.  What do you think about this? I think it sounds absolutely amazing. I would love to hear about your experiences.




No comments:

Post a Comment